Teacher evaluation
To be observed 4 times a year can be quite daunting and
stressful. The school board and school administration
is required to have teacher evaluations and to provide productive feedback for
new teachers.
New teachers definitely would feel nervous about their
feedback because this can affect their future careers and outlook on being a
good teacher. I personally feel that it
would be good to have good feedback from colleagues because this would help me
grow, learn from my mistakes, and obtain new teaching strategies.
Teachers should always be prepared and be informative. That is why I always prepare my lessons days
ahead and use great worksheets for the students. I set clear and obtainable objectives during
the semester and the class will do their best to reach that goal.
Knowing your students would be a great help and how they
respond to the lesson. You can be a
great person and funny guy, but if they learn nothing at the end of the week,
then something needs to be adjusted. I
try to have the students engaged in the lesson and interact with others as much
as possible.
For the evaluation day, I always double check all technology
and review all the necessary lesson materials.
You can have wonderful and normal days, but when the evaluation comes
by; suddenly, you feel that nothing works and students are not
cooperating. I usually have a backup
plan. For example, if they computer
doesn’t work, I use the flatbed projector.
If the IPads don’t work, I use the desktop or cellphone. If some students purposely cause trouble, I
would be more insistent on behaving in class.
The science teacher had a failed experiment, but because of her backup
plan, she showed a video of the actual experiment and still allowed students to
learn the objective.
Teachers should always build a good rapport with students ad
colleagues as much as possible because it helps the flow of the class in the
long run. Teachers should always try to
make the best decisions in class, and that only comes from experience. The evaluation will ask why you made those
decisions and teachers would explain their actions. If it was a mistake, it’s fine, just learn
from it. If it was a good decision,
great.
I try to use the learning focused approach because I feel
that it’s always better for students to be self-learners and able to complete
the assignment by themselves, rather than listening to the teacher
rambling. The evaluator was also going
into class and actually being a part of the classroom itself. The approach would give her a better
understanding of what happens in class.
Having a 1-1 meeting after the evaluation does make it less stressful
rather than sitting in front of a committee or board members. Well, I have been evaluated many times over
the years of teaching, but it’s always good to get productive and constructive
feedback from other professionals.
No comments:
Post a Comment